Keyword research is the process used by search engine optimization experts. It helps them find the actual search items entered by people while researching on a particular topic. Thus, it is very important to choose specific and appropriate keywords if you want your website to get to the top of search engine ranking.
- The first step is to break away from the industry jargon. Your audience will not always belong to the industry. Incorporate common words and phrases in your keywords list. If you don't, it's highly unlikely that your targeted audience will ever find you.
- Next, create a list of potential but relevant keywords. Include all the keywords you think a customer would put in while searching for you.
- Once you have your list, your next step should be to narrow it down in such a way that it includes only the most sought after keywords. This will make sure you have quality traffic directed to your web site.
- As per the result of each of the keywords, make a final list of only those keywords you think are good enough to be let in. Again, make sure your list includes specific keywords too.
- Now that you have your final list ready, don't restrict it to only the content but also the title tag, headings, alt text, meta description tags amongst others.